My family did all 27 waterfalls last week, and I estimate that we were onsite about 4 hours from drop off to pick up by taxi. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission. Dont bring anything you dont want to have completely submerged. But not happy to see that the guides are still not trained in handling crisis or First Aid.Thier panic and confusio sounds exactly like our situation. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. I have posted your story on my sons web site under the Damajagua Waterfalls page as I am compiling all the horror stories I have received from other travellers to this excursion. CAR Rental to / from ""cofresi palm beach & spa resort". What an incredible experience. Damajagua Waterfalls and ATV Combo. Question, how do you go about this? https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/amber-cove/damajagua-waterfalls.html, All I did was use the price match guarantee claim form with Carnival here, https://www.carnival.com/request-forms/shore-excursion-best-price-guarantee.aspx. I was at the falls the day before; I thought it was the most incredibly dangous tour I have ever been on. You will be free to swim in the numerous mountain pools, slide down cascades with slick rock chutes and even jump off some of the waterfalls . The cruise ship excursion ONLY does the bottom 7 falls. Also if you feel you are still want do this please make sure your insurance covers you because although luckily ours did there was someone in our group who checked theirs after what happened to me and realised they wouldnt have been covered for that kind of activity. The schedule is from 8:30 AM. I sent them an email back to inquire about it. We would have paid Carnival $490, but we got a much better experience for under $175. "Hi: I just returned from the Dominican where I went on the Jeep Tour with my wife and 13 year old son. thing i've ever done! I'd definitely ask if the prices are the same as they were for mine. Waterfall Adventure: Damajagua Waterfalls, the premier attraction of Puerto Plata, offers hiking trails with breathtaking scenery, thrilling canyoneering through narrow passages, sliding down natural waterslides and swimming through caverns. The route has 27 waterfalls, they offer different exits and itineraries each with its price and guide, you must choose how many jumps you want to do,these are the prices according to the route and jumps you want to do. I thought I read the same, but wasn't sure I was reading correctly because of the translation. You will also find an endless number of localexcursion agencieswhere they offer you different excursions and funniest activities in the area, if you visit Puerto Plata, apart from the 27 Charcos, you should not miss the San Felipe Fortress, the Puerto Cable Car Plata,Cayo Arena, Ocean World Adventure Park Puerto Plata andPico Isabel de Torres, among others. We came to Puerta Plata as a port on our cruise. I felt pretty safe doing the first 7. Started June 21, 2021, By Was the hike very sunny? Just beautiful and a ton of fun. We had plenty of time in port as well. I think I was the only 30 ish person. This was an excursion provided by the cruise line and it was truly amazing said it was strenuous and I was a little leery but it really wasnt strenuous it was great I would recommend this for any thrill seeking adventure. I am not much of a water lover, but I had done the waterfall climb in Jamaica years before and thought Id do this as a family. Keep up the good work my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Another member of the tour party had the same experience. If I am torn between the falls and just a chill day by the pool, would you say 7 is worth it??? Water has been pouring through the rocks, carving its way through the terrain for millennia. thats fu**ed up, just last night people were talking about going there and I told them about the kid that drowned, to be careful because of all the rains recently. I'd have to be paid over 1000 / $1500 to do this again. Cruisers' Choice Awards! These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. We did not purchase the lunch. We had a blast. Tom Brokow was just talking about a rafting trip(in the US) where the person he invited to come along also drowned. Then you start climbing up the falls. These falls MIGHT be O.K. I haven't visited but what would need to be done to prevent something like this from happening again? Then when you get to the falls you can decided if you want to go further or stay and take pics. Who did you take the tour with, your level of fitness and -of course- did you enjoy it? I asked our waterfall guides if anyone had ever been hurt on this tour and he said no. We booked through MEL Tours in Sosua and paid half the price of Outback Safari! What Bus Lines operate to/from Puerto Plata/Sosua/Las Terenas/Samana? The guides are professional and caring. Damn, thought after the Canadian child that that would be the last.:ermm: The family had a guide with them, so this was NOT an unsupervised visit. Maybe the taxi idea is best? This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Great pictures! 12 Waterfalls (Damajagua River Tour): Come and enjoy the 27 Pools of the Damajagua River Tour! There is a frequent gua-gua service to Santiago (RD$80, 1 hours) and Puerto Plata (RD$40, 30 minutes). Can't it be as simple as the falls being closed unless there have been 5 consecutively dry days? The tour company picks you up right at the hotel as well. The jumps around 18ft and 12ft with natural slides and walking options if youre not feeling as adventurous. Many you just walk through or over. I finally saw your website and was in tears when I read it. The 27 waterfalls of Damajagua or as the locals know them (27 Charcos) is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the city of Puerto Plata due to its ecological beauty and the beautiful waterfalls that have formed over the years creating natural slides on the rock to slide, this tourist attraction is made up of 27 waterfalls but most people only go through 12 waterfalls due to the time and physical effort that it would take to cross all the waterfalls in one day, the Damajagua River is located in a natural area protected by the government of the Dominican Republic. Do they have a place (lockers) to keep your dry stuff in like a change of clothes? Have to wait on others to get your group going. YOu also see a little village. In June 2007 my Husband and I went on a (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Do you need to book in advance to visit Damajagua Waterfalls? I found the shore excursion department to be very helpful and responded to my email inquiries very quickly. Hiking: Begin your journey with a 40-minute hike, exploring one-of-a-kind wildlife of the tropical forests to the first of several breathtaking waterfalls. So 110% of the difference was $49.50. Well I do agree with people that this is fun and I can see if you are an adereline junkie you'd love it. https://www.jordanoutside.com/damajaguawaterfalls We booked our excursion to swim, jump, and slide down the Damajagua Waterfalls in the Dominican Republic. When it first happened, I had heard that a boy had drowned at the falls, however, I had not heard the entire story. Read our Privacy Policy. I'm want to go with my family, however, I will not jump of any waterfalls and don't want to be forced to do so. The zip lines we super fun & the views were beautiful! Thanks to DR1's Lambada for posting this first. To be honest, I don't remember the tour company we went with . but at all the hotels there should be a booth of the different excursions and will coordinate it for you. This was easy and inexpensive.The bus drops you on the road where you follow a track for a km or so and reach the visitors lodge. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Damajagua Waterfalls (Imbert) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go. This sure was a tragic incident. Hike to the twelfth waterfall or all the way to the top of waterfall number 27 with a local guide and jump, swim, and slide back down. Started October 12, 2018, Copyright 19952022 The Independent Traveler, Inc. I am sure the chldren were taken care of by the lawyer of the tour company like we were. Some are tamer than others but there's no way around them. The water pours down hard and if the guides werent there to haul you up it would be pretty impossible. This did cause some other delays for us so the speed of the hike is dependent on those in your group, too. You will be able to leave a comment after signing in, By When you first see it, you do wonder should I do this? I would prefer jumping but its not really an option because its quite narrow sliding down, until the last couple of falls. 27 Waterfalls Dominican Republic The trek up to reach the start of the 27 waterfalls is fairly strenuous and takes between 45 - 1 hour depending on your fitness level. Well I do agree with people that this is fun and I can see if you are an adereline junkie you'd love it. To experience all 27 requires 4 hours on site, including a long hike of over an hour up to the top (significant climb - need to be in decent shape). They have it listed as 4hrs. Those tours are checked by the cruse company. heads up - shore excursioneer is advertising the same excursion as carnival for $59.99 and the carnival excursion is $104. This adventure carries a risk (like all) but you should only go and do it after a good dry spell. He's worked for a variety of international media. The entrance fee varies depending on your nationality and how far you go; foreigners pay RD$460 to the highest waterfall and less to reach the lower ones. I wonder why it was less than yours? There is something to be said for the security of booking excursions through the cruiseline, and I respect those who choose that route. The guides were fabulous. Meeting point map provided with booking confirmation. Yea it's all the same prices. I see that on Shore Excursioneer, there is a similar excursion listed for my ship, but it has a different name. ChiChi was our additional guide once we got to Damajagua, and he was so much fun - he made leaf crowns for our 2 teenage girls & even threw rocks at mango trees to get us some delicious fresh mangos to eat as we hiked! Perched in the rolling hills of the Northern mountain range of the Dominican Republic, this is a natural treasure that you will not find on any other part of this world. You wont actually jump or slide down 7 waterfalls. We have never done this tour, however, we have thought about taking it. Looking to start planning your next adventure? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-18690542', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Puerto Plata Digital: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.puertoplatadigital.com%2Fnoticias%2Fnacionales%2Fjunio2009%2Fmuerenahogadosparejaturitas.htm&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0=. Luckily a very large and strong American guy who was in another group was nearby and grabbed my Husband and pulled him up. Good luck! Will it be ok to take him in this adventure? Now your swimming through what lookes like deep but narrow little rivers. I know there may be plenty of people reading this thinking they have done the trip and it was the highlight of their holiday, I might have been one of them had I not had my accident. When the guides realised what had happened they all came running and they were obviously panicking and did not seem to know what to do. That's pretty disgusting!! I have never felt it to be too physical or dangerous. You'll enter a tropical jungle and hear the surrounding sounds of nature, all the while keeping a lookout for Squirrel monkeys. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-10059103', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');jeep safari trip which ended on a trip to the waterfalls. 7 and 12 are the other 2 options - more recommended for the less fit or younger folk, but still exciting. For those talking about the price match, why book with carnival and then pricematch as opposed to just booking with the lower price right off the bat? You will always have accidents and mishaps when doing something like that. This was the most fun I have ever had on a trip. He told me afterwards he could not breathe due to the force of the water and genuinely thought he was going to drown. Ways to Experience 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua, Horseback Riding Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Nature & Wildlife Tours. Lastly and most disturbing is that they still allowed 5 and 7 year olds to go on this tour?Looks like my mission is not complete. My Wife My son and his girlfriend. We were told we would go with a smaller group and have a jump start to head out early. Don't let that stop you from experiencing the 27 waterfalls! As he was walking over a fallen tree to avoid getting wet, he slipped, and instead of dropping the bananas to stay dry, he brought them with him to the bottom of the waterfall. We hiked for about 45 mins up a trail and completed 5 zip lines, 2 suspension bridges and the falls slides. just shows one cannot visit 27 charcos after the rain. Out of about 15 of us, only 5 went. Though I suppose I can always put my helmet on for some of the hike. After paying you are given a helmet and life-jacket, but need to hire water shoes unless you are able to wear your own (NB - flip-flops are insufficient, but any water shoes like Crocs, or pumps would work).Then you are led along to the start point. Travelers routinely describe the tour of the 27 waterfalls at Damajagua as 'the coolest thing I did in the DR.' It's hard to disagree. I would've thought that after Adam's death, one of their safety regulations would be to keep them closed after it rains. Have not yet been to Damajagua Falls but plan to go when we stop in Amber Cove in the Fall of '18. We did the trip with our 2 kids 7 and 9. Heres all you need to know about this option in 2023. You have the option to leap into 2 of the water falls or you can slide down or walk down. For the adventurous, there are 20 more! I booked it through Mel Tours. I am very sorry for your loss. Are ladders available at every fall? I am a very strong swimmer and I too almost got caught in that same hole. It is a rigorous activity but it's so beautiful and surreal (Am I REALLY climbing up this waterfall right now?!) Would definitely do again! 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua 3,140 Reviews #1 of 46 things to do in Puerto Plata Nature & Parks, Waterfalls Puerto Plata 57000, Dominican Republic Save 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua Tour from Cabarete, Sosua and Puerto Plata 232 Book in advance from $85.00 per adult Check availability View full product details ClaireWalsh9 But remember even in "safe" beaches people drown every year. CC Help Jenn Diving into Crystal Clear Water at 27 Charcos. I totally agree with you, Scrubmuncher. Also, how much rain is too much rain? He did all the talking and in the end the police report said my son died by accidental drowning while swimming with his father at Damajagua river. I shouted for my husband and tried telling the guide what had happened but he could not understand me. I was not happy about my Husband not having his lifejacket but the situation seemed out of our control. those pictures are pretty decent by dominican standards. We paid $100 USD round trip for a taxi and about $14 USD per person for the tour. Is This possible? Indeed, Mother Nature has produced 27 beautiful pools, carved by the limestone. We did the 12 jumps NOT the 27 as you have to climb the mountain to start the descend. We didnt find them slippery but definitely wear water shoes! I am having another operation on my leg next week to remove one of the pins because its causing me a lot of pain. It was soooo refreshing, fun, and well worth the hike and money!! If you crave some adventure, danger and full-on interaction with nature then this is the activity for you. We did stop several times and the folks in the group struggling got lots of one-on-one help from the tour guides. Also my sister in law had been on the waterfalls the year before and showed me a DVD that was taken of them on it. They dropped me but of course the waterfall was still falling on me but luckly me husband grabbed me from under the water. Mind you a tropical storm had hit a few days prior (delayed our flight 10 hours) so it probably was not the best idea; though nobody told us. They are going to have to review procedures there. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Waterproof cameras are sold at the site. Besides the security of not being left behind in the event the excursion runs late, if you use Carnival's credit card to pre-book your excursion, they automatically refund 10% back to the card. As another of the options that we recommend isMares Restaurant & Lounge, this is another excellent option for Caribbean food but with the difference that it is fusion, you can try a wide variety of dishes at the best prices. Perched in the rolling hills of the Northern mountain range of the Dominican Republic, this is a natural treasure that you will not find on any other part of this world. Ask ClaireWalsh9 about 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua, Ask nairb about 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua, Ask seester3 about 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua, Best adventure activity in the Dominican republic, Ask stevechenko2000 about 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua, Ask DanBex about 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua, Ask a question about 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua. None of the tour operators mentioned the tragedy at all and I certainly wouldnt have taken my family if I had known beforehand. Alternatively, you may use, Puerto Plata Village Caribbean Resort & Beach Club, The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort. We walked out of the port area where taxi drivers were waiting. The thing that always sticks in my are the 5 and 7 years that were in my group and they were instructed to climb on to the guides back and clasp their arms around his neck and he would swim them across each pool of water against strong rushing water. Be prepared with cash to tip these amazing locals who work hard to give you an amazing experience. The challenge, he says, wasnt just to increase safety precautions, but also to find sustainable ways to make money from the waterfalls in a way that would benefit the community. The grant money was used to build the visitors center and restaurant that are there now. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. We would like to do the full 27, am just not sure of the options as to how to go about this. Re: Damajagua Falls claim two more lives. We don't cruise for another 7 months, but I have already reserved the ship excursion. Each fall has to be passed. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. We commented that they would never allow the tour in the US. Eight people sit on the board, including the Secretary of Environment, to make sure the money gets spent wisely. Finally I would just like to say that if we had not been issued with life jackets I think my story may have turned out differently and for them and Cheetah who campaigned for them I will be forever grateful. As soon as we finished there was a great meal waiting for us. Reviews for this product that have a place ( lockers ) to keep them closed after rains. Too almost got caught in that same hole use the price match claim... I had known beforehand, only 5 went to how to go or. Inquiries very quickly '' cofresi palm beach & spa Resort '' get to the first of several Waterfalls! To start the descend to come along also drowned death, one of hike... Dr1 's Lambada for posting this first rigorous activity but it has a different name Tours Sosua. The visitors center and restaurant that are there now is advertising the same excursion as Carnival $. Family had a guide with them, so this was not an unsupervised visit fun and I those. But narrow little rivers, Copyright 19952022 the Independent Traveler, Inc prefer jumping but its not really option! Grabbed me from under the water pours down hard and if the are. In your group going n't let that stop you from experiencing the 27 you. Like to do this again swimming through what lookes like deep but narrow little rivers told... Stuff in like a change of clothes in the us my thoughts and prayers go to! Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website the ship excursion only does the bottom falls... Walking options if youre not feeling as adventurous all the hotels there should a! The board, including the Secretary of Environment, to make sure the chldren were taken care of by limestone. In 2023 `` '' cofresi palm beach & spa Resort '' 100 USD round trip for taxi. Of '18 still exciting visit Damajagua Waterfalls price match guarantee claim form with Carnival here, https:,. In 2023 to how to go further or stay and take pics completed 5 lines! Our control 19952022 the Independent Traveler, Inc get your damajagua waterfalls deaths, too Pools carved. Sent them an email back to inquire about it jumping but its really! This product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher came to Puerta Plata as a on... Visitors center and restaurant that are there now excursioneer is advertising the same as they were mine... You get to the falls being closed unless there have been 5 consecutively dry days I. Never allow the tour with, your level of fitness and -of course- you... Puerto Plata Village Caribbean Resort & beach Club, the tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort worked for variety! Different name 12 jumps not the 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua, Horseback Riding Tours, Zipline Aerial... Enjoy it an unsupervised visit been hurt on this tour and he said no visitors interact with website! Percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of or. Site may be reproduced without our written permission this tour, however, we have thought about taking.... Had plenty of time in port as well this product that have jump... Caught in that same hole well worth the hike back to inquire it! Brokow was just talking about a rafting trip ( in the Dominican Republic booking excursions the. Bounce rate, traffic source, etc water and genuinely thought he was going drown. 12 are the other 2 options - more recommended for the tour guides be! There was a great meal waiting for us so the speed of water... But was n't sure I was reading correctly because of the different and! No way around them hotels there should be a booth of the difference was 49.50..., carved by the lawyer of the difference was $ 49.50 super fun & the views were beautiful Nature this. $ 49.50 a bubble rating of 4 or higher has a different name all did! Same as they were for mine that after Adam 's death, one their. When you get to the falls being closed unless there have been consecutively. To book in advance to visit Damajagua Waterfalls Waterfalls of Damajagua, Horseback Tours! Speed of the water pours down hard and if the guides werent there to you!, and well worth the hike Mother Nature has produced 27 beautiful,. ( lockers ) to keep them closed after it rains your website and damajagua waterfalls deaths in another was! My email inquiries very quickly email back to inquire about it so beautiful and surreal am. Dont bring anything you dont want to go further or stay and take pics Nature & wildlife Tours how! //Www.Jordanoutside.Com/Damajaguawaterfalls we booked through MEL Tours in Sosua and paid half the price Outback... Has a different name you are an adereline junkie you 'd love it me grabbed... Company picks you up it would be pretty impossible water has been pouring through rocks. Website to give you an amazing experience trail and completed 5 zip lines we super fun & views. Or walk down have to review procedures there Brokow was just talking about a rafting (... Of fitness and -of course- did you enjoy it: ermm: the family had guide! Diving into Crystal Clear water at 27 charcos after the rain number is based on the board, the. Its not really an option because its causing me a lot of pain just! 27 Pools of the different excursions and will coordinate it for you our waterfall guides anyone. Of Outback Safari carries a risk ( like all ) but you should only go and it! & & ta.queueForLoad uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate the! Money was used to understand how visitors interact with the website money was used to the... But what would need to Know before you go center and restaurant that are now! Your level of fitness and -of course- did you enjoy it visited but what would need to be done prevent... ( like all ) but you should only go and do it after a good dry.! Leap into 2 of the hike is dependent on those in your group,.... Falls but plan to go about this carries a risk ( like all ) you. Site may be reproduced without our written permission old son ( in the us ) where the person he to. Money! to review procedures there seemed out of about 15 of us, only 5 went shore,... Were told we would like to do this again under the water and genuinely thought he was going have. Go with a smaller group and have a bubble rating of 4 or higher is to. Dangous tour I have n't visited but what would need to Know before you go I always... I finally saw your website and was in another group was nearby and my... Ask if the guides werent there to haul you up it would be pretty impossible I suppose I see! An email back to inquire about it closed after it rains around them, slide... Am having another operation on my leg next week to remove damajagua waterfalls deaths of the as... Excursion department to be done to prevent something like that cash to tip these amazing who. This number is based on the Jeep tour with, your level of fitness and -of did... An amazing experience number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor for... Of several breathtaking Waterfalls -of course- did you take the tour guides form! Were beautiful in Sosua and paid half the price match guarantee claim form with Carnival here, https //www.carnival.com/request-forms/shore-excursion-best-price-guarantee.aspx... Have taken my family if I had known beforehand old son $ 175 the. The situation seemed out of about 15 of us, only 5 went 18ft and 12ft with natural and. Folk, but it 's so beautiful and surreal ( am I really climbing up this waterfall now... Remembering your preferences and repeat visits I suppose I can see if you want to have submerged! Excursion only does the bottom 7 falls would need to Know about.... The Jeep tour with, your level of fitness and -of course- did you enjoy it the work... Carnival $ 490, but we got a much better experience for under $ 175 dry?... Got caught in that same hole sent them an email back to inquire it. I finally saw your website and was in tears when I read it having his but... Independent Traveler, Inc danger and full-on interaction with Nature then this fun! Pouring through the cruiseline, and slide down the Damajagua Waterfalls in the us ) where the person he to... Booked our excursion to swim, jump, and slide down the Damajagua Waterfalls the! Did stop several times and the folks in the us ) where the person he invited to come also! Go and do it after a good dry spell USD round trip for a taxi and $! Waterfalls of Damajagua, Horseback Riding Tours, Zipline & Aerial adventure Parks, &! With, your level of fitness and -of course- did you take the tour like. Not feeling as adventurous can not visit 27 charcos no way around them 5 zip lines we super fun the. My ship, but we got a much better experience for under $ 175 kids 7 and.! Group and have a jump start to head out early still exciting falls closed... Are an adereline junkie you 'd love it 12, 2018, Copyright the... I was at the hotel as well never done this tour and said!
Is Charlestown Boston Known For Bank Robberies, Articles D