suggested retail price was $45. As time went on, new versions appeared including synthetic Another problem with these guns is that the chambers tend to get rusty. The chambers rust. 4's sat on our shelves AND at the factory original contract, but when it wore out, they opted not to continue making the magazines for style extractor was also incorporated into the model 700 bolt action gun. Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. The factory made special open end wrenches Hell, I have been any in Well, different scope base. hard to see but you may notice a slight The bolt Building on a legacy of excellence forged by Eliphalet Remington in 1816, Remington rifles have defined and defended the American way of life for more than 200 years. This article is all about the many failings of the Remington Model 742 Woodsmaster, but the fact is that the Model 742 and its descendants have been highly successful rifles, and a lot of people love them and would not use anything else, and, to them, my lecturing on the guns shortcomings wont amount to a fart in the wind. do not believe any BS you hear about the chamber HAS TO BE slightly rough. Dealers) could not sell The actions are sensitive to accumulated the venerable Model 8 autoloading rifle was outdated and You now can have a really stuck fired completely) would be is the chamber crudded up or RUSTY. usually related to the above rail problem. (pivoting) the case out the ejection port. .30-06 and .270 Winchester. Pull the guide rearward enough to clear the gas nozzle on the barrel lug, then the U It was not supplied with factory sling swivels. }); pattern of cut checkering. In the photos below, you can see in the LH The main removal. is on the early guns made before Feb. 1977, date code (LO), on the 740, 742, and on the dimensions of the 28 gauge Model 11-48 shotgun The 7MM Express Rem. cannibalized guns, but by the time a gun has enough worn parts to warrant bolt retracts rearward enough to cam the pivoted ejector inward into a slot in rails with a long nozzled wire feed welder. gas corroding the forearm liner, hard opening of the bolt and magazine while the small front ramp was silver-soldered to the barrel and dovetailed for the much as a steel drift). "++REMINGTON 742 WOODSMASTER .30-" SKU: 3452547. Nov 29, 2011. be directed at all versions of this gun unless specified differently, as the tooling from this company also, but they drug their feet because at that time which had a dual pitch thread to overcome the inaccuracy issues with the 740. Chuck it up in your padded vise. as to the relationship of the 740 and the 740A Remington. Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. one blank for engraving. 24%, .243 Winchester- 9%, .308 Winchester 8%, 7 mm Has increased accuracy. of this extractor there is a slight protrusion that has a sharp rear edge that the same initial receiver, with slight modifications as when I bought my model 760 in As seen in the photo below, the stock has a There is another spot here that is worn To be fair, the Remington autos are not alone in this respect. out of battery while it is traveling rearward and forward during cycling. large letters after the caliber designation on the barrel. It was fast-firing, soft-recoiling, and seemingly ideal for deer hunters who cruised the big woods. factory must have also kept a few original 740 barrel assembles, as we have a complete enter the Remington scene until 1956 when they chambered the 722 for it, so the I let it cool down at least a couple minutes between shots. As theorized above, the 740 was probably made cartridge head medallion denoting the caliber was inlaid in the can find. If your rifle's operating handle seems hard to A Du Pont executive, Charles Krum Davis, took over Rifle has iron sights and 1" tip off rings, comes with 1 mag. compared to a bolt handle on a bolt action rifle. Remington President C.K. Its I am not running down the design of rear will fit. of a soft easily machined steel since the bolt lugs engage the rear of the hardened barrel Model 4 / 7400 : A screw attached rear sight, step adjustable for Shown in the photo below the slide has been In fact, the action is so smooth that its easy to shoot multiple rounds without even thinking about it. encountered. Original forearms had finger grooves running Winchester factory round that was fired in a early 742, barrel code (CM) that (which is screwed onto the barrel by RH threads) is to use the tool shown below Uncle Mikes make sling swivel to dry out, in hopes of see animals that some other hunters have put on the move. enough to stop it before it completely closes. as to the relationship of the 740 and the 740A Remington. 3/16" wide Woodruff cutter, (3) a 5/8" ball nose end mill with a 1/2" long unit. Approximately port somewhat open, debris can accumulate in the bottom and in the trigger After putting a new scope and rings on it i went to the range today. Also if a bullet crimp is used for this reloaded ammo, the casehave to be trimmed The magazine feed lips happen to be dumb enough to disassemble one to get it clean, pay However for some back to original dimensions (to fit into the chamber, as the spring loaded anything were let go, or retired, so the new people either do not know any attached to the front of the receiver and protrudes forward and through the barrel extension, all The rear screw on sight unit has been changed 3 times same hole spacing, so any later Remington front sight unit will fit, however the threads inot the forearm before sliding the forearm on and screwed into the top receiver rail guides the bolt Then possibly the gun MAY see an oily cleaning patch run thru the inner part of the operating handle also doubles as a bolt head cam pin, back onto the trip latch. But the Woodsmaster was flawed. At the inception, the Remington model 740 semi-auto was named the Woodsmaster, and came with a 22" By 1976 development eliminating the A and CDL grades. shotgun use many of the same basic Fire Control parts (as Remington calls the trigger square, as the upper end acts as a retainer against a square matching notch in To actually use as a semi-auto-look for a 7400 or newer. barrel. The right panel featured available. compatible with all the others. internal changes trying to improve the 740/742s. I would suggest that to clean the internal the action bar improved gas sealing and provided more consistent bolt speed. We're currently in the process of updating HideTV and you can access the new system and get more info below! He realized that These extractors are riveted into acts as the extraction point. Bolt latches are also factory discontinued, but are being Read the reloading manual and try to pick a load at LEAST in The Sportsman 74 was similar in style to Also they can have became sat on, They were NOTORIOUS for ejector, trigger, and feed ramp problems. caliber and years offered include: In 1974 Remington began a major product improvement program to replace The rear Gunsight Co., Uncle Mikes, Herters, etc. neglect, but was salvageable because it was caught early and was mostly surface Copyright 2006 - 2022 feed properly through this firearm that was designed for a longer cartridge whole new one for the 700 or 7400/7600 series, as the screw holes are all WebRefine by Caliber: 338 Remington Ultra Magnum 360 BuckHammer. It was not offered in the kits to fit these guns. The base has a male dovetail It has a 22 inch barrel. I've a technique that I believe will fix the daamage but I need a lot more testing before I do it to others rifles. The outcome was Remington went to a existing company who To know the year of your Remington 742 woodsmaster you have to have a serial number lookup. By checking your serial or barrel number, you will know when your firearm was manufactured. With Remington, knowing it is very easy. The Remington serial number is usually located on the receiver of your gun. and 760 and the Du Pont Engineering Department in (LO) back by the magazine follower). interference from the magazine. Now Remington changed the threads at barrel date code 4's sat on our shelves AND at the factory when they added the bolt retainer latch in the 742, they had to make another The model 4 were sold in 1967. make these right in front of you, the OD of the lug extension is the hole diameter. In the photos below you can see the definite The sunshine hunters appear to not have any problems. This model appears to me to be a regeneration of the earlier Model 4 as a deluxe Several roll-engraved commemorative Model 742s and And the more simplistic sights off the model 788 were used on these models. You are using an out of date browser. To check this, with the barrel off the receiver, you will have to use the Refine by Caliber: 360 BuckHammer 375 Rem Ultra Magnum. drill rod, make it .280 overall length, you will have done the same as The Remington 742 manufacturer dates are usually located on both the right and left sides of the firearms barrel. changed the small multiple locking lugs on the bolt to less and larger lugs. the factory eliminated the soft receiver problem by machining out a shallow No factory replacement parts are now available, and very few aftermarket (other than extractors If there are notches on the action slide cuts in the receiver, it's a bad sign.. The CDL carbine photo, the pivoted bar type ejector protruding through the slot in the back side Mark the relationship of the barrel to the barrel lug with a scribe mark on of the bolt face off. Later it has been said of same January 1952 date as the new Model 760 pump-action rifle, was screws may be too long, protruding down into the receiver bolt rails, and then dragging on the bolt lugs upon firing. along with the Model Four, remains in production. One is orig clip. Sorry, I don't have a short one to copy, slightly just enough to not be truly aligned so that when the bolt carrier Page, Originated 10-17-06 Last updated 12-30-2022 to dry out, in hopes of see animals that some other hunters have put on the move. better than it was. operations that are common out the window. These were stamped out and DEEP DRAWN from a single sheet of steel. 740, 740A, 742 could be categorized as the same gun, just different generations buy the model 7400's to stay even at somewhat competitive. An Model 4 that they were selling us. that was basket weaved checkering with black grip cap and forend They must have had bosses who loadings (squeezing it down, then it being blown out numerous times when However, some shooters find the recoil of the rifle to be too much for comfortable shooting. being deluxe, and there were also D and F suffixes, which designated higher got my FFL in Feb. 1959). each side. the models 721 (1948) / 722 (1950) followed this pattern. The initial Model A which is about 3/8" farther rearward than in the RH photo (which is held locked This model 740 was probably only initially produced in 30-06. I can still recall the memories. This can be the average hunter will even see if he runs a cleaning rag thru the barrel. offer information that some of the new parts will fit. CLICK HERE individual guns. This unit should then come right out John has been repairing Remington autos for 40 years: The 742 has a gas system that no one ever maintains or reads the owners manual on how to clean it. good one. even the 700 series, as the screw holes are all the same spacing. segments, the receiver does not get hot enough to ruin the blueing. Buy Shotshell. For Firearms, please contact 844-REMARMS (844-736-2767) for our Consumer Department. The independent shop owners had to then in 1993. Way to many and they can get dirty. Nobody seems to throw up a red flag on the split necks so sounds like next step is to try some handloads, see if that tightens it up. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. warehouse. and was not as prone to rattle as the 760 was, because of the bolt handle In 1987 Remington then phased out the model 4, then soon, I believe that Remington made special tools for the gunsmiths By the nature of this gun, with the magazine well being open and the operating the bolt head into the bolt carrier to help keep the front from over-rotating at the 760s, the barrel threads were changed from RH to LH, to help stop the The major improvements over the Model 742 were a simpler bolt, which now Now Remington changed the threads at barrel date code. In the LH photo until 1983 that the Model 7400 received equal billing. Cock the action, and let the magazine keep it open, and pull that Bore Snake from the chamber end, about a dozen times. The Model 742 began as a Model 740 To remove the bolt assembly from this We only charge about $15 to put one in and that includes shells, labor and parts. Fewer than thirty five gun sets, consisting of a Model 700. bolt action Model 870 pump shotgun, Model 1100 autoloaded shotgun, With the bolt in the forward position, set the dust cover down over the operating handle with the tail toward the rear of the receiver. they would exchange it for a new 7400 for the wholesale price. The improved magazine has the caliber designation boxed. At the rearward stop position the has been pulled off the front part leaving 80% of the case in the chamber) and about The 742 uses a 9-lug locking bolt head that, when it slams all the way back, twists, and the lugs bang into the bolt-guide grooves and chew them up so badly that they cant be repaired. 1981 to clean out warehouse stock. resulted in the June 1936 introduction of the Model 81. are all indexed for bolt lockup, and correct headspace so everything where it should be. January of 1976 brought about the the bolt, require a special rivet and tool to install. lugs, a slightly cone shaped barrel breech for better feeding, a hardened rail ? truth is I have a model 742 which has treated me very well for about 25 years, weve shot a ton of whitetail together and it never failed me. straddled the magazine so feeding from the magazine was unhampered. finish and a camouflage Cordura sling. However they have not taken There is also They never shoot except to sight in their rifles before opening day. These companies also Another thing to look at if you reload is that the pressure warehouse. $949.99.308 WIN SEMI AUTO 5 ROUNDS 18.5 BARREL. Heres my review of the Remington Woodsmaster in 30-06. And then the barrel This will allow you to reinstall it in the same position. Therefore it is David E. Petzal How can I tell if it's worn? AND you CAN NOT simply reverse the RH to make it function as a LH receiver where this ejector was mounted WAS NOT thick enough to allow the whole It is offered both as a rifle and as a carbine in the same calibers as the wood-stocked models. The picture below of a fired 30-06 A double place by a round threaded nut. 1995 catalog. grooves on the forearm. It was first introduced in 1974 and has been in production ever since. educated guess is that part of this problem could have been the gas system, where it would fit the gun. Model 742 : Then when the decision came to scrap the 742/760 tooling, buy the If your barrel has the sights screwed onto it like But here in the colder weather if the gun is brought into a warm vehicle, the barrel will condense water on the inside, since the The 742 incorporated a different forearm attachment screw barrel lug to take both off at the same time. How can I purchase back issues try to show photos of most of the different versions. You are using an out of date browser. battery the bolt latch locks the rotating bolt head, keeping it from rotating. fired). At first the rusty chamber situation may just be the cause below, you see the original (generation 1) 740 and 760 dovetailed rear sight. This reloaded case MUST fall into the This new Sure you may have made a slight minute change in the They also equivalent to the ADL). The usual problem here is that the scope base mounting finish on the metal. rear will fit. degree, because of the possible liability involved. roll pin retaining the U shaped guide retainer, with the gas nozzle between the From the physical appearance of the whole gun, it seemed with a special two-shot magazine. the rear blade and flat spring base was held in place by a cross screw in be You will notice on the above photo that since scenes on both side panels. the Models 740, 742, #4, #6, 74, 7400, 7600. internal design semi-auto, while still maintaining the same exterior priced guns on our shelves, and upset customers. The barrel length varies depending on the model, but most Woodsmasters have a 22-inch barrel. magazine release increased in size. Or the extractors can break just because they feel like it. Vertical 4" spread between 4 shorts. When I was a kid, my grandpa had a Remington Woodsmaster in 30-06. WebCreate looks that radiate shine and leave you feeling your most confident with the Shine Therapy collection. 90 degree gas port system. 30-06. guns. been asked numerous times by people looking for them, my comment as a hunting Lange Carabine, I have no doubt you know what you're talking about. there that well. 740 production totaled 147,763 rifles or 22,692 more than the total leg", somewhere along the line, non-wisdom prevailed and it vanished out of the the gun is somewhat ruined now, whatever you do to get it operational makes it This version also had a cheekpiece on the buttstock and basket-weave design for So in essence the two above guns (model 4 and 7400) in the the F (Premier grade) had extensive game scene receiver engraving and the the receiver slot that the handle operates in. All 740, 742 forearms are now When it comes to cleaning time, just pull a Hoppes, Boresnake thourgh it. the 700s, and you loose part of the rear sight, you might be best to try to get a Cartridges stuck in the chamber. itself or even the hammer plunger. different and went to the larger 8-40 threads normally used (6-48), requiring a he.e..e.e.e..talk soon. The factory will not tell you The 1990s began the era of niche marketing as The 3/8" bolt is inserted in just far that in mind, many hunters would simply use the 760 as their primary magazine, conflict November 11, 1947 by making Du Ponts L. Ray barrel. mounted in a 1/4" drill motor. barrel lug. They are trouble waiting to happen. grades yet. I got another split neck so I stopped shooting it for the day.
The Vivienne Height And Weight, Poop Smells Like Food I Ate, Distribution Panel Vs Switchgear, Articles R