For example, we consider time spent worming, shearing, docking and trimming hooves as merely maintaining an operation. They were an excellent choice for this as they seldom bothered the pine trees. This characteristic is a huge benefit in terms of overall health and also in terms of annual expenses of time and medication to the shepherd. practically anything. Have you ever thought about the wayslawnmowers are dangerous? Aside from the obvious (they taste good), they make In fact, they can grow up to 250lbs. As opposed to lawnmowers, when they are fully grown, they can be butchered and either sold or served for dinner. 2, I usually have ewes and lambs (on the hoof or freezer-ready) Three groups of sheep are managed separately: 1) breeding and pregnant ewes and rams; 2) lambing and lactating ewes and lambs; and 3) growing lambs (market lambs and replacements). Katahdin is probably the more economical choice, however, namely because they can produce both meat and milk. rabbits. Katahdin sheep will strip the bark from cedars, pines and any deciduous tree that has smooth, immature bark. Locals of the island refer to themselves as Crucians. If St. John - Beautiful but expensive. While there are far fewer cons than there are pros for keeping Dorper sheep, you do need to consider the potential downsides. What Needle Felting Supplies Do You Use for Sculpting? St. Croix - more affordable (but still expensive), poor economy, Anquilla landfill and Hovensa - not the most scenic sites on the island however the F'sted sunsets are magnificent. it wasn't foot rot, it was prolapse, or sheer stupidity (let's lay under In my own life, with a family, a job, and multiple interests, needs, and dreams, learning to make decisions has become a necessary skill. The pros of living in St Croix are its low crime rate, stable currency and beautiful beaches. It is bred as non-fat tailed sheep for top meat production. Dorpersare known for their fast weight gains as lambs. Did you know: Pro's: Seeing the Southern . 1,800 sheep (same AUs) will bring in $300,000. This is a very good article to read and understand the secrets of Raising Katahdin Sheep. Fourteen years ago my wife got into the sheep business when she purchased three registered Katahdin ewes, a ram, and later, three Romanov ewes. The list of pros and cons is certainly long as it would be for buying a house in any location. Answer: Pros. November/December 2003 and regularly vetted for accuracy. I sincerely doubt that a statistically average St. Croix ewe, bred to a St. Croix ram, is going to produce more pounds of lamb than a statistically average Suffolk ewe bred to a Suffolk ram. Brandon says. You can also use them for multiple income streams thanks to their excellent meat and milk production. More on that subject later. ALABAMAALASKAARKANSASCALIFORNIAFLORIDAGEORGIAIDAHOILLINOISINDIANAIOWAKENTUCKYLOUISIANAMARYLANDMICHIGANMINNESOTAMISSISSIPPIMISSOURINORTH CAROLINAOHIOOKLAHOMAOREGONPENNSYLVANIASOUTH CAROLINATENNESSEETEXASVIRGINIAWASHINGTONWEST VIRGINIAWISCONSIN, Email : The Columbia sheep are large animals with white face. The carcass weight on a pure St. Croix sheep is not suitable for commercial (meat sales) production. Now you have a good idea of the pros and cons of both Dorper and Katahdin sheep, which one is right for your homestead? S t. Croix, the largest of the Virgin Islands in the Caribbean, is one of the toughest environments cattle have faced. The St. Croix are a medium sized hair breed sheep with a moderate frame size and long body and legs. Pro. A type of hair breed, Katahdin sheep originate in the United States. I've decided to let them fall in love only once a year. The capital, Charlotte Amalie is located on St Thomas. Hair sheep can also produce leather as a useful byproduct. I They will stand on their hind feet like goats to strip any low hanging limbs of their leaves. I love sheep manure for plants. Little mowing. Today, due to the work of Piel and other Katahdin breeders, Katahdin sheep are known as being hardy, low-maintenance sheep that adapt easily to a variety of conditions. Electricity and Cell Coverage. After slaughter, all thats left is hide, manure and stomach contents. Barbado sheep have a very small carcass size. raising St. Croix hair sheep? 509-688-5168 Ralph Jost Wild Rose St. Croix 21720 N Spotted Rd, Deer Park, Washington 99006. The carcass weight on a pure St. Croix sheep is not suitable for commercial (meat sales) production. Aust pulls out all the stops and brings in Accountant Mike to develop a comprehensive pro/con list to investigate this completely new venture for the homestead. When it comes down to it, the choice of whether to add Dorper sheep or Katahdin sheep to your homestead is more about personal preference. clean up what my little princesses (goats) won't touch. Grazing animals put on weight quickly in preparation for the long winters. Required fields are marked *. The meat has a mild flavor, good grain and produce a lean meat. OT=""; Sheep require a minimum . A biography of my early adulthood could be called The Consequences of the Poorly Thought Out Choices.. In the sheep arena there are 3 hair breeds that are both well developed and well known in the USA: the Dorper Sheep, the Kathadin sheep, and the St. Croix sheep. The St Croix (Saint 'Croy') is a breed of domestic sheep native to the U.S. Virgin Islands and named for the island of Saint Croix.They are often also called Virgin Island White because those that were imported into North America were selected for white coloration. Weve found that while genetics play an important role in weight gains, flock management, parasite control, forage quality and forage availability seem to be more important when it comes to the bottom line. Our grass-fed ewes normally go into the fall with a body score of 4-5, which makes flushing difficult: Adult Katahdin sheep can maintain themselves on poor quality forage that had our Romanovs literally skin and bones. However, they have been cross-bred with other breeds over the years to develop the modern breed we see today. Some of the main pros of keeping Katahdin sheep include: Katahdin sheep are one of the easiest breeds of sheep to care for. I've been told that Dorper grow faster but are open to parasites. Fact: While it's true that Barbados and St. Croix are small animals (ewes 80-110 pounds), few commercial breeders raise them. 3 years ago. Akbash. My primary occupation is in business management. Despite what you may read otherwise, most sheep are not overly friendly. broke, don't fix it". Report inappropriate . Do these ventures create a profit that make sheep a good business decision? wonderful pets, lawn mowers and weed eaters. If you're a former "wooly" producer, you Search Island-wide Listings Here! Wiltshire Horn and St. Croix. My name is Joe and Im the owner of RaisingSheep.net a site where I share information and tips about raising sheep for fun, for show, and for profit. If you'd care to discuss They are mainly white in color, and they have wool all over their bodies except for their bare. Wondering whether to add Dorper or Katahdin sheep to your homestead? Offspring of this imported group were further selected for consistency of conformation, and this process has resulted in the development of the St. Croix, a standardized breed in the United States. St. Croix are a medium size sheep with ewes weighing around 125 lbs and rams weighing 165 lbs. I went to the St Croix line in 2008. and I currently run around 250 head. Sheep production does not require elaborate facilities and equipment. The Senepol breed combines the N'Dama characteristics of . They like large groups of lambs on each farm, prefer solid colors, registered and must be enrolled in the scrapie program. They browse as I am planning to retire to St. Croix in the next year or so. starting with the cons: - It takes longer to I wish to sign up to your exclusive club but I dont think that it is much needed at this point as I dont have a farm or even a garden yet. Several Polypay owners in the area worm all animals 6-8 times during the summer and still lose animals to stomach worms. Decision-making is an art and a science. Katahdin sheep and Dorper are bred as meat sheep breeds. Of the ewe lambs exposed, 95 percent gave birth at the age of 11-13 months. The Meatmaster Breeders established and developed a sheep breed as close to nature as possible and allow the . This behavior causes problems with maintaining desirable trees unless protection is provided. It is so tranquil and serene. You're still living in the United States. 503-367-8912 Caleb & Hannah . Caribbean Hair sheep were developed from West African hair sheep and a few European wooled sheep that were brought to the Caribbean beginning in the 1600s. Our spring lambs on pasture alone (17-20 percent protein and 65-72percentdigestible organic matter-DOM) will average 55-60 pounds. wonderful pets, lawn mowers and weed eaters. I began to write an reflection of this episode where I waxed poetic about lawns, livestock, and this episode of Curious George. just want to exchange thoughts, I'd love to chat. The main questions to ask yourself to determine the answer are: Katahdin sheep come in multiple color varieties, whereas Dorper sheep are white and black. Great for a homestead, as I have witnessed first hand over a 3 year period. This is due to their strong flocking character and instincts as they respond well to guard dogs and can live harmoniously with them all year around. They have a mild Roman nose profile with a finer boned facial structure. much as graze. If Bowdridge can figure out the genetic marker that allows St. Croix to be immune from this parasite, he could help the entire sheep population of America. Although they are one of the newest sheep breeds introduced in America, Katahdin sheep have quickly become a popular choice. United States of America. The flocking instinct of hair animals generally isnt as good as wool breeds. Hi Ben, we do have an update they are not here anymore! After lambing season, most of our sheep time is spent managing our pastures so that we can provide our animals with the best quality forage possible. Other than a few lambs for Hispanic weddings, we sell our slaughter animals through the local auction barn. Docking tails is unnecessary, although you still see some old timers that dock just because they always have. The Teeswater has a lean meat with a good meat to bone ratio and light bone. (A friend with Polypay and Katahdin sheep has had the same experience. They can be used for the sheep skin which has a good quality to it. Thinking about Hi! Raising chickens? Over time, Caribbean Hair sheep became well adapted to the heat and humidity of their environment. Bosnians want 60-pound animals while Muslims often prefer 60-80 pound animals. These sheep are broke to hot wire and being moved every 2 days. I would love to get in touch with the author personally. Its carcass size is even smaller than most other wool breeds. I grew up on a 100-acre sheep farm in Maine, was an active member in 4H, and I showed my flock across New England and at the national show in Louisville, Kentucky. Yes, Quality: Good tanned hides have been likened to a deer skin quality. These slaughter lambs sell comparable to pure Katahdin sheep per pound unless theyre full of cockleburs and briars. Keeping Sheep (how to prepare your farm & yourself), Best Sheep Breeds for Beginners (your options), How to Create a Business Plan for Sheep Farming, How to Buy a Lamb that Will Win! I am looking for a true beachfront condo unit with full beachfront views. Thirty percent of the ewes were first-time lambers, having an average of 1.2 lambs/ewe. They would be for pasture management and meat. This is the first time we have Aust step out from behind the curtain of his homestead in a particularly vulnerable position: as a newbie. 80 pounds at 90 days can be expected. of Grants Pass. The sheep tend not to deposit fat within their muscle. You see, this sheep doesn't need shearingit sheds its fleece once a year. A large-framed, late-maturing breed will not have the necessary carcass quality at these weights, whereas Katahdin sheep or Dorpers will. These sheep are typically white in color, though there are known variations such as light brown, tan and black or white with black or brown spots. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy This makes them one of the more profitable breeds to specialize in. Libyans prefer old worn out buck goats for their stronger flavor. It has an entirely different purposemeat. The sheep proliferated as subsistence livestock and were also valued for the manure critical to sugar cane production. 3,600 posts. Positive benefits of St. Croix breed: Highest Parasite Resistance No Shearing (they shed naturally) Produce easily on grass . My email is van@cavenet.com and my phone number is 541-592-3444. Katahdin Sheep Origin. Ewes often produce twins and have plenty of milk to raise them. People in the Midwest or southern states see this and make a trip to Alberta to purchase a super ram. There are three sections worth considering staying: Cane Bay, Frederiksted, and Christiansted. A few more interesting facts to know about the breed, They are pretty docile but very active and vigorous as such no child should be left unsupervised around them. All things being equal 300 cows will bring in $150,000 a year. When comparing weights, keep in mind we live in north central Missouri. Who's Who in U.S. Sheep Breeds (poster), American Sheep Industry Assn., Inc.; 6911 S. Yosemite St. Suite 200; Englewood, CO 80112-1414 Phone: (303) 771-3500 FAX: (303) 771-8200. The only things to consider include: The fact Katahdin sheep dont produce wool isnt necessarily a disadvantage. If you are looking for manageable, high-yield livestock to raise on limited acreage, you should seriously consider St. Croix hair sheep. Any of the sheep breeds thats considered to be one of the true hair sheep breeds has an advantage in that cockleburs, briars, stick-tights and so forth dont become entangled. My email is, St. Croix Sheep I can get a # 5 shad rap or walleye diver banging bottom in 32ft of water, but you let out about 80 to 90 yards, I typically use 27lb lead core, with penn 320 reel, it holds all 100 yards and use 5-6ft fireline leader it holds up better than mono. The hair coat, which eliminates the need for shearing, is part of this adaptation. Podcast update on that coming soon! While many breeders enjoy the production of wool, others view annual shearing as a costly expense. Named after the highest mountain peak of the area, Katahdin sheep was first developed in Maine, USA back in the 1950s. The last straw was the increasing to speed this process up, but like my Mother always said, "If it ain't number is 541-592-3444. Barbado Sheep Cons. - I rarely have to Is there any way to contact him? This year, we have purchased a Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) farmshare with two goals in mind: increase the variety of vegetables in our freezer, and meet local farmers to begin the make the relationships that could possibly gain us a few mentors for our homestead journey. Purebred lambs can reach a weight of 19.9 kgs at 8 weeks old. Socials: The Senepol breed of beef cattle were developed on the USVI island of St. Croix by Henry C. Nelthropp in the early 1900's by crossing Red Poll cattle and N'Dama cattle. In this area, hair sheep often sell higher than wool sheep. In trying to reverse that trend, the Country Boy and I have grown more cautious and methodical. This has nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with the latitude in which the animal lives: Things being equal, our weights will be lower than the weights of similar Katahdins raised in Canada, but higher than ones raised in Florida. By John Kirchhoff For many people, mentioning hair sheep evokes either I wouldnt have anything else or a No way would I have them response. Rather than listening to this episode and thinking wow, I should look into livestock, I urge you all to take away the larger message and ask yourself: What is ONE decision I can make to further my passion? Dorper sheep are exceptionally popular amongst both hobbyists and commercial homesteads. In years past, 18-30 pound lambs sold well in Chicago for Jewish Passover. Its important to have an animal thats pure or unaltered for sacrifice in observance of many holidays. They also tend to be highly mobile, which means they will climb on top of anything. The St Croix sheep breed originated in the Virgin Islands and as a result it is sometimes referred to as the Virgin Island White. Some Advantages of Producing Sheep. Bigger the size of the carcass is, more will be the commercial importance. Since hair sheep dont have a heavy wool coat, they cant take the cold. Sheep, however, cannot simply be parked in the shed once they're done dining. He They were bred with other hard footed, shedding, Continue reading "Wiltipoll" If you decide to start living in St. Thomas, then you are going to be living in a U.S. territory. unavailability of shearers and then having to practically give away the One of the first major successes was the N'Dama from West Africa, imported to St. Croix in the mid- to late 1800s. I spend a lot of time driving for my job, so podcasts really help me pass the time. Study with Quizlet and memorize flashcards containing terms like Fine Wool Characteristics, Advantages of Fine Wool Breeds, Disadvantages of Fine Wool Breeds and more. Even though I feed well, they will always The ewes can breed up to twice a year and have an abundance of good quality milk high in butter fat content. 1. Katahdin sheep and Dorper are bred as meat sheep breeds. Click hereto learn how you can help. Not a Pioneer? I know there is a good market for hair sheep lambs as well. Where to stay . Being aware of the pros and cons of each breed will help you to make a better-informed decision over which one is right for your setup. (Lynne Vanderlinden) live in Cave Junction (extreme SW), Oregon, outside While you can make a great profit selling meat, if you are looking for multiple income streams from your flock then the Dorper may not be the right breed for you. That is something a good monitoring plan will help with. May-June lambs on pasture alone (10-13percentprotein and 60-65percent DOM) will average 45 pounds. Virgin Island White, White Virgin Islanders or White Virgin Island sheep, Meat and can be used for sheep skin and milk, They have a active and alert but not at all wild as they are quite docile, Novice to Intermediate sheep farmer/keeper level. It is becoming more and more popular not just in . List of the Pros of Living in St. Thomas. While I cant speak for other hair breeds, Katahdin sheep are tough, hardy animals with eating habits more like that of a goat. The best genetics wont keep an animal from starving to death. We are in the process of installing another 10,000 feet of electric fence on 25 acres that will result in another nine paddocks. They range from 6'8 to 7 in length; Medium, Medium-Light, or Medium-Heavy in power, and Extra-Fast to Fast in action. The pros: (a Anymore (at least in Missouri) its the carcass quality that sets the price. The other three Islands that form part of the Group Called US Virgin Islands are St Croix, St John and Water Island. Katahdin sheep are one of several hair breeds, the most common of which includes Barbados Black Belly, St. Croix and Dorper sheep. I saw that the author is from Central Missouri, which is where we live. You can overcome this by making sure your walls are high enough, and that there is nothing in their enclosure that they can climb onto. Slight of build, with the narrow, lean carcass typical of some of the ancient British breeds, they are immediately noticeable due to their black and white fleeces and prominent horns. Many ethnic groups want a much different lamb or goat than has been marketed in the past. They still dont take a huge amount of time to reach it, but it is something to be aware of if you are looking for fast production. The St. Croix Legend X Spinning Rod collection has fewer options to pick from - about 5 different options in fact. Sheep help control weeds. Do you want to earn multiple income streams from your flock. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. naturally longer list, and remember, this is from. Or pass over a new machine and invest in some sheep to eat the lawn? Re: Buying a house. Deciding which area is going to be best for you will depend on several factors such as the activities you want to do, whether you require the property to be beachfront, and proximity to restaurants and bars. Washington 99117. Breeders are listed by state, but only if they request to be listed. Dorset ewes weigh between 150 and 200 pounds, while rams can weigh up to 275 pounds. Breeders Association. Today I am going to talk about why I raise Dorper sheep instead of St. Croix sheep, despite the fact that St. Croix would seem to be a better fit for my climate. A Katahdin ewe will average between 140-180 pounds, while Dorper ewes will average 160-200 pounds. The St Croix sheep are also very calm, have good flocking instinct and show little aggression to the dogs. In addition to the $75- to $250-each purchase price, feeding them, housing them, and caring for them can get expensive. this breed and its suitability for you, or if you already have them and ), In fall 2000, we grazed our flock on cocklebur and waterhemp that followed an oat crop. Barbados Blackbelly and St. Croix sheep. They have many similarities with the Corriedale sheep. Hi, we are looking at beginning a small flock of hair sheep. Reply. I live in a small condo and armed by nothing but dreams and curiosity. A broken lawn mover has led Aust to pondershould he buy a new ride-on lawnmower? just want to exchange thoughts, I'd love to chat. Generally, hair breeds are more heat tolerant than wool breeds. : Did you know Accountant Mike is a reality star? they don't jump on you, run over you, or jump on cars and over fences. I'm not saying they . Sheep consume roughage as their primary feed. Photographs: Dr. Jerry Fitch, Extension Sheep Specialist . Contrary to the benefits of Barbado sheep, it has more disadvantages. Yurts 101 Everything You Wanted to Know about the Portable, Affordable and Easy to Build Living Structure! In the 1970's, the Wiltshire Horn, a shedding breed from England, was introduced. As STT Resident said the folks on the moving forum can give opinions/pros/cons on the different locations but you can also find plenty of those here for vacationers. We would definitely like a breed that is more docile, hardy and produces. For a number of years, there has been a good export market for ewe lambs going to Mexico. That means you will receive protection via the criminal laws of the United States. van@cavenet.com and my phone Since Missouri has more Katahdin sheep than any other state, the majority of export animals come from here. Sheep can help the quality of your lawns. They have fiber/hair that is shed annually and does not contain any wool fiber. Due to "con" number of Grants Pass. To speak to one of our agents contact us today. Most hair sheep breeds will lamb out of season without resorting to hormone therapy. Join here. Here are a few of the not so great things about sheep that you should know about. They are so much cleaner than woolies. . They are non-selective grazers that love weeds and have been used by agricultural programs in weed control. Our sponsor The Power Plucker will make your life easier. This combination of characteristics makes the breed an excellent choice for low input meat production. Thinking about When the pastures are poor, hair animals hold their body condition much better. St. Thomas - to many tourists, crime and dirty on the positve side - Magens Bay The influence of the Wiltshire Horn was later diminished as selection against horns was imposed . A second group was imported into . A type of hair breed, Katahdin sheep originate in the United States. If you have kids, sheep can make a wonderful family pet. When it comes to sheep, meat market buyers want lambs to weigh 100 lbs before slaughter and they want the lambs to reach this weight by 6-8 months. Im sorry I cannot help you. Here are my pros and cons (in no particular order). Despite his success in other areas of his homestead, many of which have been shared on the podcast, Aust is revealing that decisions on the farm arent made in a vacuum. Several myths still surround hair sheep. I spend a lot of time driving for my job, so podcasts really help me pass the time. More economical to fatten. Thank you. There are a lot of advantages to keeping Dorper sheep in the US. Did you know that Dorper sheep dont need to be sheared? The St. Croix sheep breed is distinctive because it does not have any wool, thus requiring no shearing. . - No docking, unless } for(j=0;j Ten Pin Bowling Preston Capitol Centre, Articles S