What is the benefit of knowing about U.S.A social and culture? Should we learn about social norms, customs, and taboos before immigrating to America? Is it necessary to know American social norms for a short trip?
Join us to introduce you to American culture norms in this article. If you want to have a good experience on your trip, it is necessary to read about the social norms of that country before deciding to travel to any country.
The better you can adapt to the norms in a community, the easier you can connect with the locals. In this way, they support you.
American norms and values
You probably also don’t want to be introduced as someone who breaks the norm in American society, so you should learn more about the American lifestyle.
You can compare their social and cultural norms with your country’s norms.
Because by studying American social norms, you may find many differences between your lifestyle and Americans.
Before making any positive or negative comments about normative differences, you should understand that differences are part of the experience of cultural exchange.
So pay attention to these differences to benefit from a unique learning opportunity in the United States.
American culture shock examples
Culture shock is a feeling of confusion, tension, and anxiety caused by getting to know a new culture. Although this experience and feelings are common after entering a particular country, group, or society, it is called culture shock. Because people usually compare the social norms of a country or a group with other countries or groups. You may experience a kind of culture shock when you enter the United States.
If the culture shock changes your feelings, negatively affects your daily life, and disturbs your work and social life, you should seek help from counselors and psychologists. But prevention is always better, so take our recommendations seriously. To avoid cultural shock in America, read and research more about American social norms before immigrating or traveling to this country.
8 different cultures in america
By reading this part of the article, you may notice some different American social norms that may seem strange.
Remember that you should not be indifferent to cultural differences because they are important issues. In the following, we will explain 8 American social norms. In this way, you will get to know them more.
- One of the American social norms is to be on time. So plan to be on time for business or office meetings.
- Preservation of privacy and personal space are among the most important American social norms.
- Americans usually express their opinion openly and frankly. This behavior is considered rude in other countries.
- Americans usually do not greet you. They ask people what kind of day they experienced. Or how has today been spent so far? This behavior of Americans is different from other countries. For this reason, it is on the list of various social norms in America. Of course, you should know that they do not pursue a specific goal by asking this question.
- Americans care about queuing and are willing to wait in line to get what they want or need.
- Americans value independent thinking, one of America’s social norms.
- Americans enjoy interacting with people, joking, and smiling. In general, communication and conversation are of the American social norms.
- cleanliness and personal hygiene have become an essential social norm among Americans. They even like to bathe twice a day.
American classroom culture
- Teachers always ask students to be active in class and discuss and participate. Discuss and experience as much as possible.
- In general, the course determines the grade at the end of the semester.
- If the teacher calls the student’s name, the student must stand in his place.
- Attendance of students in the classroom is vital.
- Understanding course concepts is one of the American social norms because it is not enough to memorize the class material.
We have already written an article about social norms in school, be sure to read it.
American clothing culture
If you want to know about dressing and American social norms, we must say that most Americans favor comfortable clothes. Even many students tend to wear comfortable clothes during the day when they are at school.
Most Americans agree to buy sweatpants because they feel comfortable wearing them.
In general, about American dress and social norms, you should know that people are allowed to wear their favorite clothes. So as long as they don’t break the rules, they can dress as they please.
When Americans go to an official organization, they usually wear formal clothes. They wear appropriate attire to attend formal or informal gatherings or parties.
Smoking culture america
Americans are very picky about smoking. So if you are a smoker, remember the following points before traveling or immigrating to America.
They consider smoking a bad habit and vice. According to Americans, smoking can make a person addicted.
According to their beliefs and health tips we hear daily, smoking is the main cause of various diseases. Smoking for a long time may even cause death.
Smoking outside your home is difficult because you must follow American social norms and only do so in designated areas.
If you smoke in a public place in America, you are considered a person who violates the norm.
If you see someone close to you coughing because of your smoking, you must put out your cigarette as soon as possible. Because making a nuisance because of smoking is a violation of American social norms.
In this article, we explained American social norms. We tried to use different examples to illustrate the social norms in this country so that you know about it well and don’t get worried when traveling or immigrating to this country. Thank you for being so cooperative, and we are waiting for your comments.
- Pristl, A., Kilian, S., & Mann, A. (2020). Disentangling social normative influences on sustainable consumption
- Goode, E. (2015). Deviant Behavior,(11th ed.). New York